Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Friends


 As the saying goes, you know who they are when ya need them.

 Putting this shop together, while keeping a day job, and trying to open with a deadline in mind, has proven to be quite the juggling act. Without the help of some very special people lately, the task of opening on the 21st seemed impossible. With only three weeks left, the things needing to be done starting getting over my head.

 I hate asking for help. When I do it, it's because I have no other choice. I've spent a small fortune on those $19.99 A-Day Uhaul trucks because my SUV ain't cuttin' it at the moment. Anyone with a truck hates the inevitable call from a friend or relative needing to move or pick up some heavy, oversized item, and I hate being the guy to ask. My man Eddie Munster has always said yes, even after almost crippling him with the counter he helped me pick up. I have a flamed cane waiting for ya, E.

 Construction guys and their quotes can be quite frustrating to say the least. After almost giving up, my neighbor Teo, retired carpenter, stepped in and showed what a difference handmade counters and shelves can be compared to warehouse store fixtures or worse, Ikea shit. Gracias amigo!

 I didn't want the same ole' vinyl letters covering my windows. I wanted old school, hand painted letters from a real artist. After mentioning what I was looking to do, Spencer Getty (SpaGetty's Garage) jumped on board and spent 2 straight days in 100 degree weather doing what he does best. Thanks, brotha! His wife Yvette even stepped in to show me what was required to be tech savvy in this day and age. I'm so grateful for the PR, Vette. You rule, you ruler.

 Always a fan of good street art, I knew I wanted a piece done in the shop. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but our mechanic, Jerad, mentioned this to some artists friends of his and they came rolling up from Orange County after working regulars shifts, and spent their Labor Day weekend making my vision come to life. Ryan and Xavier rule the walls... and trains!

 Speaking of Jerad, world's greatest bike mechanic and relationship expert, he starting working on jobs that are coming in, even without us actually being open yet. He set aside his own killer Shovel build to start working on shop projects, a full month ahead of his scheduled start date. Thanks, man.

 When it comes to repairing, spackeling and painting ceilings and 12 foot walls, nobody wanted in, except Ann Marie and Lynda. Without their last minute help, the walls couldn't have got the mural painted on them in time, and another deadline would've been lost. These ladies saved me.

 I couldn't make this weekend's Ventura Nationals because of all that needs to be done. I was bummed not to be around the killer cars, bikes and of course friends and really bummed I wouldn't be able to get the flyers out. Ritch showed up on Friday and said he'd pass them out for me. Really!? Big thanks, R!

 Lastly, for now, I've been a bit nervous in hiring someone I can trust to work the shop while I'm out. Nancy (Pants) showed up to take the reigns, and although she became obligated to something else, I was grateful she wanted to lend a hand. Ann Marie suggested Emily and I couldn't be more happy to have her. After being hired, and although she hasn't started yet, already managed to set up the things I will need to get going. I'm looking very forward in working with ya, Em.

Special thanks to Skratch for the big bottle of booze as well Dewey and his old man for offering up...anything!






No comments:

Post a Comment